Delicious Sesame-Hemp Mylk w/ Orange Zest
Our Mylk & Cookie class was such a great success, we truly had a wonderful array of learners from young to old and of all different backgrounds. That’s is WHY we do what we do to create commUNITY, for Vegans and non-vegans to learn share and grow together! After taste testing 16 different MYLKS the Seasame-Hemp was not only the crowd favorite but hands down a no contest winner! Naturally, we had to publish our recipe for everyone else to enjoy!
Sesame-Hemp Mylk w Orange Essence
A delicious dairy milk alternative, a favorite from the Mylk & Cookie class.
- 1 C sesame seeds
- And 2 C hot water for 1 hour soaking
- 12-18 dried dates
- 1 C hemp seeds
- Zest of one citrus fruit in the orange family i.e., navels, tangelo mandarin or tangerine.
- Himalayan Salt
- *Optional Spiced Rum addition*
Add 6-8 dried dates, depending on desired sweetness level to boiling water. Refrigerate once cooled and store overnight.
In a separate pot, add 6-8 dried PITTED dates, depending on desired sweetness level, **I can’t stress enough your dates must be a pitted variety.** to boiling water. Refrigerate once cooled and store overnight in separate container from first set of dates.
1 hour before:
Soak 1 C sesame seeds in 1 C hot water and 1 C of hemp seeds in 1 C hot water f in separate bowls for 1 hour
(Or 2 C of either seed with 2 cups hot soaking water)
Zest of one citrus fruit in the orange family ie tangelo, mandarin or tangerine.
Drain the seeds, and rinse till clear. Replenish clear water in separate container. Proportions for newly soaked, hydrated seeds is 1c seed to ½-1cup clear water. You’ll decide as you’re blending, according to results if you want to use the partial or full quantity of clear Water. It’s not a formula, it’s according to your personal preferred Mylk thickness.
Do NOT drain soaked dates. You will use all that delicious soaking Water.
A few pinches of Himalayan salt. One good pinch per cup of seeds. Taste / adjust as you go.
Use any high speed, high powered blender. I’m still in love with my 30 year old vitamix, fwiw, and definitely recommend my model the 5000 if you can find one secondhand. I’ve Zero complaints!
Start with all the dates and all the soaking date water in the blender.
blend the dates to purée stage and the scrape in all the soaked seeds. Use the clear water to rinse the last of the seeds out and blend. Add in the zest and whip up again till emulsified, and frothy.
- When complete your frothy Mylk will likely be warm, and oh so comforting and satisfying. Makes a lovely pre bedtime treat or ideal on a cold, dank day. BTW, For the adults, i’m sure a touch of a spiced rum would be an outrageous addition, too!
- While the orange zest is just an enjoyable, Fragrant addition, it’s purpose is to cut the residual bitterness the sesame seeds bring. But sesame is so powerful, you’re going to do whatever it takes to make it work. Here’s just some of the benefits of this “super seed”: