This refreshing recipe will bring you seaside, even if you’re stuck in the heat of a concrete canyon. Anything but fishy, this dish is reminiscent of a traditional seafood ceviche. Because this recipe is 100% plant-based and does not contain raw seafood, this dish will keep up to 4 days with proper refrigeration.
1 cup lime juice (fresh preferred)
1 head of cauliflower florets, chopped and steamed
1 jicama, peeled, diced, and steamed
½ cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
1 colored bell pepper of your choice, diced
2 medium-sized shallots, minced
1 can hearts of palm, sliced
½ cup of grape/cherry tomatoes, halved
Salt and pepper, to taste
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 seeded and minced hot pepper
Zest of a 1/2 lemon
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
Optional: 1 sliced avocado, hot sauce, and/or lime wedges for garnish
- Steam cauliflower and jicama.
- Immediately cover veggies with lime juice and leave to cool, for optimal absorption.
- Strain the now cooled veggies, reserving the lime juice.
- Add remainder of ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Fold in 3 tablespoons of reserved lime juice.
- Chill overnight in refrigerator. Serve inside a hollowed avocado or tomato, over a bed of lettuce, in a butter lettuce leaf cup, or in a martini glass!